Simplicity Rules in Copy Writing
The adage”Simplicity is Beauty” does not only apply to individuals but it will also benefit you if you’re into copy writing. The simplicity rule should also apply on your copy. You can be a learned writer from your school but the style can be that which is impersonal, rigidly structured and formal.
To attract visitors to your site, being simple is good. Since readers are primarily interested on what you have to say, you may entice them to read on or discourage them and give up. Creating a simple yet concise and clear copy that is easy to read and comprehend is the best way to inform your clients of your point. Here are some easy tips to simplify your website and make it a winner:
1. Create simple and clean designs with a clear navigation system. You can repeat the images, colors, formatting and text throughout the site since guests will not wonder if they have unintentionally left your site.
2. For your background, use contrasting colors and avoid using light texts on light backgrounds. Dark texts are easier to read on a light background. Be careful with your background patterns since they can obscure the site’s content instead of flattering it. Avoid underlined or blinking texts. These texts may annoy and distract visitors. Your hyperlinks must be the only documents underlined on your site.
3. Make your copy easy to read, understand and use. Try your best to be lucid. Use simple words; those that are used for everyday speech. Use terms that are not to vague and very understandable. Don’t be too stuffy; remove pompous words and replace it with plain words. Minimize complicated gimmicks and constructions. If you can’t give the information directly and briefly, you must consider writing the copy again.
There are multi-syllable words that can be replaced by simple terms. For example, information can be replaced by a simpler word “facts”, demonstrate can be replaced with “show”, gratis with “free”, regarding with “about”, etc. Check each word and ask yourself if there are words that can still be simplified to lessen the syllable length. By this method, the words can easily roll off the readers’ tongue and they can easily remember them as they read.
4. Check your spelling and check spelling errors. This will not earn your site too many visitors. because this will make your page look unprofessional. You can utilize a spell checker such as the HTML Toolbox.
5. Don’t be over chatty and suspense killer. Surprises in the middle of one sentence is not informative, rather very irritating. Do not be too arrogant as well; don’t be too boastful in presenting your visitors of your intelligence and cleverness. This will not impress them but will surely bore them. Remember that your aim here is not only to present the readers of what you have but also to encourage them.
6. Do not be overly instructive. If you have so many words beginning with expect, consider, compare and imagine, the readers might think that what they’re reading are stylebooks or textbooks.
Writing a simple copy is vital since your goal is let your visitors understand what you’re trying to inform them with less effort on their part. The visitors wouldn’t want to spend long hours just figuring out what your site is all about.
You should aim to entice visitors to immediately click the order button without second thoughts. So write simple and win them all!